A previous game I was working on has now been scrapped for parts, this is one that didn't make it into anything new yet. I still think it's cool though. If you're inspired by this and make something, please let me know! I would love to see it!
The Dice Rune is a dice pool based travel encounter generator. A journey is divided into sections (called Chapters) during each of which players choose travel actions. A pool of dice is placed in the center of the table (World Dice) that is rolled each chapter to begin the Rune. Players roll their own dice pools to determine the success of their travel action, and sacrifice a die into the middle to add to the Rune.
This was a early list of some combinations that could be made, I also had a list of tone changes or "colour words" that could be attached to individual dice faces. So 6's could be gothic, or 2's could be scenes with tension.
For example, this Rune would be a run of three, a pair and a quad. Perhaps a chance encounter with a Faerie one of the characters knows already. Or a meeting with an NPC at a crossroads that is interrupted by far trickery. It's very open to interpretation.
Why Didn't it Work?
The game this idea was originally in was a much more trad style game with expectations of individuals characters and of players having less authority over the world. This clashed hugely with the authorial framework the Rune allows for. It left the group feeling very strange about playing characters in the scene they had just invented. Players would start acting into the scene while it was still being put together, causing weird stop start moments and confusion.
If I tried it again I think either a real GM-full approach might work, like a world building game. I think having one group of players authoring a journey, and then using those situations either wholesale or as a base for an adventure would be very cool.


No comments:
Post a Comment