Holy hot damn, First day of playtesting for Epitaph went extraordinarily well!
Two sessions, not quite back to back, definitely felt like I was shaking the rust off, both for myself and for the system. I'm really glad I did though, I can definitely recognize now that I have been putting off playtesting for fear that it would turn out the same as the earlier Caravan playtests, and the fact that the system not only seems to be working but is both fun to run and to play is an Enormous Relief!
The base of the system is understandable, including the contested rolls which I was very unsure of! The magic system was a huge hit with all they playtesters, which was awesome to see.
Some spell highlights -
- Using the Lore of Echoes and The River Stone to walk across the memory of a stone wall
- Using the Lore of Cycles and the Walking Stick to make a ensorcelled sundial
Both from one player by the way! So cool!
- Using the Lore of Thresholds and the Carven Doorframe to summon a doorway between locations, which was done many different ways with many different visuals.
Now that I can feel the design doldrums shaking off it is time to rev up the blog engine again and start pushing thoughts onto paper.
It is genuinely so exciting to have the weight of system worries off my back, holy shit. I'm hoping to start a write up on the reasons the previous playtest failed, as well as a system primer for Epitaph, who's name seems to be sticking even though I remain unsure of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment